Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

Supporting Goodwill

Back to Article
Back to Article

Supporting Goodwill

Goodwill was founded in 1902 by Reverend Edgar J. Helms, who would collect used goods and clothing from the wealthier parts of Boston and hire people with low-incomes to mend and repair them, so that they could be resold at a cheaper price or given to the workers who helped fix them.

Goodwill has now become one of the most massive international non-profit organizations, operating in 17 different countries, including the United States, South Korea, Brazil, and Mexico. As well as establishing discount stores that offer low-priced, re-used goods, this community-based network also provides job training, employment placement services, and other programs that will aid people who experience difficulties in finding employment.

This organization has also made a great impact in creating easier access to education, providing opportunities for both adults and youth to experience quality schooling. This is why it is important to consider supporting the Goodwill organization by donating clothing and household goods to their stores, as these donations provide opportunities for low-income families to purchase supplies at a much lower price than it is marketed at retail.

To show our support, ACP will be holding a Goodwill Fundraiser on Saturday, December 8 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the Student Parking Lot. This fundraiser is being sponsored by the ACP Athletics Boosters, and students and families can bring any items they wish to donate, as long as they are not prohibited by Goodwill Stores and are new or gently-used. For example, people can donate clothing, shoes, jewelry, toys, and books. Most of these items will be delivered directly to Goodwill, who will resell them at a cheaper and more affordable price.

Goodwill depends on donations to continue to thrive and provide opportunities for the needy, so please contribute to the drive this Saturday! We look forward to seeing all the items being generously donated.

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

ACP Girls Varsity Volleyball gets District Recognition

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Until Next Semester, Knights

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Celebrating Diversity with the International Knights Festival

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Wish Week and the Joy of Giving

• Supporting Goodwill

Advice

An Update from the College and Career Center

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Winner’s Choice Raffle

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Mr. May’s Thoughts on ACP

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Academic All-Star of the Week

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Help Grant a Wish at the Winter Wishes Dance

• Supporting Goodwill

Campus Life

Teen Leadership Opportunities

Supporting Goodwill