Teacher’s Helper: Mr. Ma’s Story

Teachers Helper: Mr. Mas Story

As the first semester nears to a close, students are starting to bundle up in warmer clothing to escape the desert cold. Cold weather for ACP students usually means finals and huge amounts of studying. Assisting these students and helping them understand the subjects better is Mr. Ma, who is a teaching assistant/aide to many different teachers here on campus. This school year is his second year at our school, and this is what he had to say about his experiences here:

Q: Why did you decide to come to ACP?

A: This is a funny thing. When I was first applying for a job, I somehow got contacted for this position, despite not actually applying for this specific job. So it’s a really strange coincidence that I ended up coming here. Initially it wasn’t my first choice to come here, but after the first applicant decided not to come, it was up to me. Then I had to decide whether to work here or at a different place. I took the chance of coming here, hoping for a different experience, rather than working in a cubicle or with a computer.

Q: What do you like the most about ACP?

A: How it’s really dedicated to its advanced courses. ACP isn’t your typical large school, like the one’s where I come from, where you have to sort of work your way into it. Here you remain hardworking and dedicated to excelling.

Q: What do you “teach”?

A: Here’s the thing; I’m not really a teacher by my position. What I could possibly teach, however, is sort of all around. There are subjects where I could do better than others, like history and math. The least likely would be science and English for me specifically.

Q: What do you do if you don’t teach?

A: I usually assist the teachers and students as a sort of an aide. If teachers need an assistant or need copies to be made, I could do that. If students have questions regarding certain work, homework, or classwork, I can be of assistance.

Q: Do you have any funny “teaching” stories?

A: Not so far. This is only my second official year here.

A huge thank you to Mr. Ma for being an amazing help to our teachers, faculty and students, and for all his dedication to our school. We wouldn’t be where we are today without you!