New to Our Ranks: Mrs. Giberson

New to Our Ranks: Mrs. Giberson

With the winter months quickly approaching, ACP students and faculty are getting ready for the upcoming midterms in December. Most students have already gotten used to the many familiar faces around campus, yet there are some who still don’t recognize many of our new teachers.

One of ACP’s new teachers is Mrs. Andrea Giberson. Mrs. Giberson, who teaches Algebra 1, is also the NHS/NJHS sponsor. Here’s what Mrs. Giberson had to say about her interesting teaching career:

What made you decide to come to ACP?

I had a job lined up in another district, but when I got there, I didn’t have a good feeling about it. I interviewed for a few other jobs and had the best feeling about ACP. It felt like a warm and friendly place, someplace I thought I would enjoy working.

Are you a Arizona native?

No, I am not from Arizona.  I spent most of my life on the East Coast, living in Maryland and Virginia.  I’ve also lived in Ohio, Alabama, Texas and England.

What university did you attend?

I attended George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia.  Mr. Lichty and I attended the same university.

What inspired you to become a teacher?

Teaching was not my first career.  After spending some time working in jobs that required me to be in an office everyday, I realized I really didn’t like what I was doing.  At the time, I was coaching my kids’ sports teams and leading their cub scout dens, which were both basically teaching.  I went back to school to get my teaching certification at that point.

What are the best and worst things about being a teacher?

The best thing about teaching is the kids!  After 15 years I am still in touch with students I taught early in my career.  The worst thing about teaching is either grading or meetings.

George Mason University, the university Mrs. Giberson attended.

What are you looking forward to this year?

Seeing kids master things that they didn’t think they could.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I don’t think so. If I do, they’re hidden even from me.

Can you think of any funny moments you had while teaching?

Too many to recount.  My favorite was the year that my class made a book of all the funny comments I had made that year and gave it to me at the end of the year.
Mrs. Giberson, ACP warmly welcomes you to our campus and we hope that you have a great first year in our small community!