One of ACP’s Newest Additions: Ms. Hester

Even as fall break quickly approaches, ACP students have yet to learn about some of our new additions to the campus. Among the new staff is Ms. Tricia Hester. Ms. Hester teaches Honors English 9 and Science and Technical Writing. Parents and students might at first confuse Ms. Hester with Dr. Hester, but they’re two completely different people. Dr. Hester, who teaches Physics and AP Physics here at ACP, is Ms. Hester’s sister. Here’s what Ms. Hester had to say about her career in English, becoming a teacher, and coming to ACP:

Q: When did you first decide to be a teacher?

A: I was halfway through my English degree when I decided to become a teacher. At the time I had been teaching yoga for about six years, and I realized it was possible to blend my love of English with my love of instruction.

Q: What encouraged you to teach English?

A: The skills students learn in English are fundamental for their success. Whatever students choose to do after high school, they will need to be able to read analytically and communicate effectively. I chose to teach English so that I could help students learn and appreciate the importance of these skills.

Q: What university did you attend?

A: Arizona State University – three times.

Q: Why did you choose to come to ACP

A: I first heard about ACP from my sister, Dr. Hester. Over the next three years, Dr. Hester shared many positive stories about the students and the campus culture. When the opportunity to apply came up, I jumped at the chance to apply.

Q: What are you looking forward to this year?

A: Right now I’m settling in and enjoying getting to know the students, faculty, and staff. As I do so, I am excited to learn about all of the opportunities here at ACP. I’m looking forward to exploring those opportunities and deciding where I want to get involved.

Q: Do you have a favorite novel? 

A: I don’t have an absolute favorite, but a few of my favorites include Steinbeck’s East of Eden, Kingsolver’s Prodigal Summer, and Doerr’s All the Light We Cannot See. The most recent addition to the list is George Saunder’s Lincoln in the Bardo. I love the way he blends excerpts from historical documents with fiction. The chapter about the moon on the night Willie Lincoln died is simply gorgeous.

Ms. Hester, we welcome you with great delight and wish you a wonderful first year here in the ACP community.