Making an IMPACT and Funding Your Education

Presented by the Chandler Education Foundation

When I was a freshman, ACP gathered my class in the cafeteria to talk about the IMPACT scholarship. As the meeting progressed, I saw the two very distinct types of classmates I was surrounded by: those who interacted with the presentation and those who slept through the very important slide show. Despite having an older brother in the IMPACT program, I learned more than I thought I would in the cafeteria, and that information inspired me to strive to join the IMPACT scholars.

Overall, the IMPACT program is a program that requires students to find many opportunities, 100 hours to be exact, to be involved with their community. Along with community service, students are required to maintain a GPA of 3.4 and a cumulative attendance rate of 95%. Although I found these tasks daunting, they turned out to be very beneficial as I started filling out my college applications.

As a freshman, I didn’t think this program would benefit me; I saw it as more of a chore than anything, but with over 100 hours of volunteering under my belt, I feel more confident than ever to apply for my dream college. I would advise all freshman to be involved with this program! Now, I didn’t get through these tasks by myself. I had lots of guidance from my brother, parents, and of course, Mrs. Dalton, ACP’s college and career center go-to-person. If you have any questions concerning this program, make sure you talk to Mrs. Dalton.

Before you embark on your journey through IMPACT, here are some things you need to know:

1. All students must make a formal commitment to join IMPACT of the first semester of their freshman year.
  2. All students must maintain a GPA of 3.4 or greater, a cumulative attendance rate of 95%, submit at least 35 hours of community service before the start of their junior year, and must perform at least 100 hours of community service by April 1, of their senior year.
  3. After all requirements are completed, a student is considered an IMPACT Scholar, and will receive “additional honors at graduation, including letters of recommendation and an honor chord to wear with their cap and gown.”
  4. After all requirements are completed, a student will then be eligible to apply for the IMPACT scholarship, which awards about $1,000 per award.

I never thought I would be capable of completing over 100 hours of community service, but now that I have, I feel so accomplished and hopeful in what lies for me in the future. I highly encourage all ACP freshman to join this prestigious community of students, for not only will you leave with a sense of accomplishment, but this also looks extraordinary on college applications.

For more information on this amazing opportunity, see Mrs. Dalton in the College and Career Center, and visit: https://www.chandleredfoundation.org/what-we-do/invest-in-students/impact-program.html