From ACP to American Idol

Back to Article
Back to Article

From ACP to American Idol

I often find myself spending countless hours online, watching TV, and definitely on social media. If you’re like me, you love to watch contest shows, or those where people compete in an event for a reward, usually money. American Idol is a show I often watch and sit in awe of the amazing contestants, but I never stop and think about how those ordinary people became overnight sensations. I never thought about this until ACP’s very own Alexus Alvarez, pictured left, (12) and Alyssa Michel (12) competed for a spot on American Idol.

In an interview with Alexus, she explained how she saw an ad on Instagram and wanted to try out. She continued by stating how her favorite artists, Jake Miller and Ed Sheeran, along with one of her favorite TV shows, “Glee”, inspired her to sing the song “Isn’t She Lovely” for her audition. Furthermore, she explained that the song she sang meant a lot to her and her childhood memories, for when it was sung on “Glee”, it helped shape her into the person she is today.

When asked about the day of her audition, Alexus said, “It was hours and hours of waiting. During the line, we had to fill out forms for copyright reasons and some of the producers would make the crowd scream and hold up signs as they brought the camera around. Headshots were taken if the producers chose you specifically. After that line… you were to wait in another line for the actual audition.”

She also reasoned that her experience gave her a chance to better understand the competitiveness of the music industry. It allowed her to find small things she could do to improve her voice for her next big audition. She emphasized that, “A no isn’t going to stop me from chasing my dreams.”

Alexus’s final words of wisdom to all rising singers is to “take vocal lessons, no matter the cost” and to not “give up just because people tell you that you aren’t good enough, prove your worth.”

This was a big event for our ACP students, so make sure to congratulate them on a job well done when you see them in the halls!

• From ACP to American Idol

Pursue Your Passion

Goodbye Class of 2019

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

JR High Math Club Named 2019 Champs at Competition

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

Chandler Education Foundation Night of Recognition

• From ACP to American Idol

Advice

College & Career: Military Opportunities

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

ACP’s Kevin Lu Invited to Distinguished Volleyball Program

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

UofA Visits ACP April 9

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

MathCounts Club and Their Great Success at State

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

Painting To Success: Brooke Betsuie’s Triumphs

• From ACP to American Idol

Campus Life

ACP Athletes Influence Andersen Elementary’s Students

• From ACP to American Idol

Pursue Your Passion

DECA Dominates the Competition

From ACP to American Idol