Introducing She’s the First

Global Partnership for Education

Image taken from flickr.com on by Global Partnership for Education

The 2018-2019 school year has brought about various clubs that give students an opportunity to pursue their unique interests. One club, in particular, allows students who care about social change to actively participate in working to improve an important issue with women’s education. She’s the First is a non-profit organization that fights against gender inequality by providing chances for women in third world countries to receive an education, and has expanded to multiple universities and high schools across the world. Passionate in its purpose, students decided to introduce this non-profit organization to ACP, and as a result, She’s the First is available to our campus.

She’s the First is a notable club that I believe will capture the interest of many students, so I decided to interview the current club president, Esete Amare, on what ACP needs to know about She’s the First:

Q: What is She’s the First about?

A: She’s the First is about raising money for women’s education in third world countries.

Q: What kind of effect do you hope She’s the First has, whether it’s on the student body, the community, or anything beyond that?

A: I hope that as a club we can raise awareness about the issues, specifically gender inequality issues, impacting the world, and hopefully, we can raise a lot of money for our sponsored girls.

Q: Why do you feel She’s the First is an important club to have on campus?

A: I feel like She’s the First is an important club on campus because it targets a major issue in our society.

Q: How often do you plan to meet, and do you have any last comments for potential club members?

A: We meet every 2nd and 4th week of the month! For any potential club members, remember that you don’t have to be a girl to be in She’s the First or to care about the gender inequality issues impacting woman!

I was actually able to participate in She’s the First last year, and I really enjoyed everything the club had to offer.

She’s the First president, Esete Amare is pictured on the left

I encourage people with an interest in this club to contact a club officer or Ms. Lindstrom (the club sponsor).