Another School Year, Another New Face

As the first week of school floated by, students started noticing the many new faces around campus, including teachers and staff. This year ACP has added an additional 18 new teachers and staff members. Among the new faces is that of Ms. Melanie Underwood’s. Ms. Underwood is the new Honors English 10 and 8 teacher. Originally from Pennsylvania, she graduated from the University of Scranton, lived in Miami, Florida, and Texas until moving to Arizona in 2002.

When I asked Ms. Underwood about being a new teacher, this is what she had to say:

Q: What made you decide to become an English teacher?

A: My junior high English teachers were the best, they loved teaching English, and they were an inspiration to me.

Q: Why’d you choose to come to ACP?

A: After 20 years of teaching, I wanted a new challenge and moved from teaching junior high to high school.

(She also knew Mrs. Osborn from when she taught as Bogle Junior High School).

Q: What are some goals for your first year at ACP?

A: To not be overwhelmed, try not to say no, come in every day, and do my best job.

When I asked Ms. Underwood what her craziest teaching experience was, she took some time to think before telling me about a boy who had been in one of her classes back in Miami. The boy was known for randomly shouting things out in class, and one day he was doing something (she didn’t remember what exactly), and she redirected him. It was a great shock to Ms. Underwood when the boy yelled at her that he didn’t have to listen to her because her boots were ugly. The boy and his hurtful exclamation about her boots still haunts Ms. Underwood to this day.

We can promise you, Ms. Underwood, that no one at ACP will tell you your boots are ugly. We hope that you have a glorious first year at ACP and that you decide to experience many more years with us.