Kaiti Yoo: Scholarship Machine

Yet another accolade for one of ACP’s most outstanding students.

Photo credit to Jakub Masur

Nate Rowan, Staff Writer

You may or may not have noticed, but when there is a competition, an ACP student usually comes out on top. Archery competitions, art shows, and state wrestling championships consist of a few of the competitions where the Knights have taken home the trophy. However, the competitions we excel in more than any other are the ones with a focus on academics and leadership.

Enter Kaiti Yoo. You may know her from her work as the president of NHS or her performances on ACP’s spiritline team.

Kaiti had a thrilling start to begin the month of March. First, she discovered she was one of 150 students selected to be a Coca-Cola Scholar. The Coca-Cola Scholarship is arguably the most prestigious high school scholarship in America, with only .17% of applicants being selected to win the $20,000 award. In addition to the money, Kaiti will travel to Coke Cola headquarters for a banquet on April 19th, and will be a part of a network consisting of the brightest young minds in America.

About a week and a half after being named a Coke Cola Scholar, Kaiti flew out to Washington D.C. to participate in the U.S. Senate Youth Program. The program was established in 1962 by the U.S. Senate Resolution as a way to involve the country’s promising youth in politics. Two teen representatives are selected from each state, modeling the format of our Senate. From the program’s website:

“Two student leaders from each state, the District of Columbia and the Department of Defense Education Activity will spend a week in Washington experiencing their national government in action. Student delegates will hear major policy addresses by senators, cabinet members, officials from the Departments of State and Defense and directors of other federal agencies, as well as participate in meetings with the president and a justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition, each delegate will also be awarded a $10,000 college scholarship for undergraduate studies, with encouragement to pursue coursework in history and political science.”

Kaiti Yoo shakes the hand of Senator Jeff Flake. Photo credit to Jakub Mosur

On Wednesday afternoon, I had the opportunity to ask Kaiti a couple of questions to learn about both her fun-loving spirit and her prestigious awards

Nate: What is your favorite activity that you are a part of?

Kaiti: It would have to be cheerleading. All the aspects of it — the choreography, the tumbling, the performing, even prepping the hair and makeup on competition day. Cheer has taught me grit, hard work, and patience, as well as how to have fun under pressure. Above all, the sport has taught me that when my body thinks it cannot push any harder, my mind must do so for my teammates who are pushing just as hard for me.

Nate: What is a random, non-school-related fact about you?

Kaiti: You could probably bribe me to do anything — legal, that is — if you offered to a) buy me a Pablo Picasso salad from Oregano’s or b) play with my hair.

Nate: What is the best aspect of the Coca-Cola Scholarship?

Kaiti: Although many of the Coke Scholars are initially drawn to the scholarship by its generous college funds or its prestige, we are now realizing that there is so much more to the Coke Cola Scholar community. Most of the scholars are already in a group chat together, and although the 1,000+ notifications do get overwhelming, it only makes me more pumped to meet everyone in person at the Scholars Weekend coming up in April. To know and bond with such inspiring and motivated peers across the country is truly the best part about joining the Coke Cola Family.

Nate: How about the U.S. Senate Youth Program?

Kaiti: It would have to be meeting and interacting with my fellow student leaders. They are the future of our country.

Congratulations to Kaiti on her marvelous achievements!