Everything You Need to Know About Mr. May and More!

Photo Courtesy of CSBA

Photo Courtesy of CSBA

Mr. May is a very interesting teacher and an even more interesting person. Students have sat in his class before, listened to his lectures, but may not know what he likes to do during his free time. Before teaching, he studied molecular and cellular biology at the University of Arizona. Then, he received his teacher training at ASU, along with other biological science courses. He obtained his Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, and in 2015-2016, he attended GCU and received 20 graduate credits in Chemistry. Mr. May taught chemistry, biology, and physical sciences for 13 years, and he doesn’t plan on stopping. I was able to ask Mr. May a couple of questions about his teaching philosophy and what he likes to do outside of school.

Q: What is your teaching philosophy?

A: My philosophy involved being a facilitator of learning. I attempt to remind students of what they already know and allow them to make connections to new knowledge.

Q: In what ways do you encourage creativity in your classroom? 

A: There are a few ways to be creative in chemistry. Often times there are students who discuss with me “other” things they could do in a lab to further their understanding. We also have video projects that students complete that express their creative side.

Q: If I walked into your classroom on a typical afternoon, what would I see going on? 

A: Students would be discussing chemistry topics and working through different examples to further their understanding.

Mr. May and his wife on their wedding day

Q: Describe a successful lesson. Tell me why it was successful.

A: A successful lesson is one in which students are asking questions.

Q: Would you describe yourself as a “tough” teacher or an “understanding” teacher? Explain.

A: Both. I work hard to develop relationships with students who are positive, but I also demand a high standard of academic rigor.

Q: What were you like in high school? 

A: I was an honor student in high school. I participated in Speech and Debate, as well as varsity soccer.

Mr. May and his family during the holidays

Q: What’s the last thing you watched on TV and why did you choose to watch it? 

A: I recently watched Lupin on Netflix. I chose it because the protagonist is a master thief trying to solve a mystery. Sounded exciting to watch, and it met all my expectations.

Q: What is your definition of a life-long learner? How can you promote life-long learning in your classroom?

A: A life-long learner is an individual who continues to learn new things even after high school and college and has the skills necessary to continue learning. I promote life-long learning by taking up the virtues of attending college after high school.

Lindsey May’s adorable message for her dad

Q: What books are you currently reading? What is your favorite book and why? 

A: I am currently reading the first book of the Witcher series. I liked the show. My favorite book series is the Wheel of Times by Robert Jordan. He developed an entirely original world with its own history that stretched back thousands of years.

Photo Courtesy of Barnes and Nobles

Q: What do you like to do when you’re not teaching?

A: I like to read books, watch television, and play games.

Q: In your opinion, what are the biggest challenges that teachers face today?

A: The biggest challenge is keeping things relevant to students and motivating students to learn.

Q: What was the most satisfying moment throughout your teaching career?

A: The most satisfying moment is watching a student I taught receive their diploma.

Thank you, Mr. May, for speaking with me! Go Knights!